[ Back ]
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2009, Post-doctoral Training, Exercise Physiology)
- Oregon State University (2007, Ph.D., Movement Studies in Disability)
- Queens College, City University of New York (1998, M.S., Exercise Science)
- Queens College, City University of New York (1996, B.S., Physical Education)
Areas of Research
- Applied exercise physiology in persons with disabilities
- Physical activity and health in people with disabilities
- Physiological and biomechanical aspects of gait in persons with Down syndrome
Areas of Teaching
- Disability, Aging, and Physical Activity
- Clinical Exercise Physiology
- Cardio-respiratory Exercise Physiology
- Love, A., & Agiovlasitis, S. (2016). How is physical activity perceived by adults with Down syndrome? Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly, 33(3), 253-270. doi: 10.1123/APAQ.2015-0042
- Agiovlasitis, S., McCubbin, J.A., Yun, J., Widrick, J.J., & Pavol, M.J. (2015). Gait characteristics of adults with Down syndrome explain their greater metabolic rate during walking. Gait and Posture, 41(1), 180-185.
- Sandroff, B.M., Riskin, B.J., Agiovlasitis, S., & Motl, R.W. (2014). Accelerometer cut-points derived during over-ground walking in persons with mild, moderate, and severe multiple sclerosis. Journal of the Neurological Sciences, 340(1-2), 50-57.
- Pitetti, K.H., Baynard, T., & Agiovlasitis, S. (2013). Children and adolescents with Down syndrome, physical fitness and physical activity. Journal of Sport and Health Science, 2, 47-57.
- Agiovlasitis, S., Beets, M.W., Motl, R.W., & Fernhall, B. (2012). Step-rate thresholds for moderate- and vigorous-intensity activity in persons with Down syndrome. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 15, 425-430.
- Agiovlasitis, S., Motl, R.W., Fahs, C.A., Ranadive, S.M., Yan, H., Echols, G.H., Rossow, L.M., & Fernhall, B. (2011). Metabolic rate and accelerometer output in people with Down syndrome. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 43(7), 1322-1327.
- Agiovlasitis, S., Collier, S.R., Baynard, T., Echols, G.H., Goulopoulou, S., Figueroa, A., Beets, M.W., Pitetti, K.H., & Fernhall, B. (2010). Autonomic response to upright tilt in people with and without Down syndrome. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 31(3), 857-863.
- • Motl, R.W., Snook, E.M., Agiovlasitis, S., & Suh, Y. (2009). Calibration of accelerometer output in ambulatory adults with multiple sclerosis. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 90(10), 1778-1784.
- Fernhall, B., & Agiovlasitis, S. (2008). Arterial function in youth: Window into cardiovascular risk. Journal of Applied Physiology, 105(1): 325-333.
- American College of Sports Medicine
- International Federation of Adapted Physical Activity
- North American Federation of Adapted Physical Activity (President-elect)