Neuromechanics and Neuroscience
The Neuromechanics and Neuroscience Research Group focuses on a comprehensive biomechanical, neuromuscular, motor learning and performance analysis of human movement. The aim of the group is to enhance understanding in biomechanical, behavioral, neural, and cognitive mechanisms underlying human movements and to improve performance and prevent injuries in a variety of populations ranging from recreational, athletic, occupational, geriatric and special populations such as Downs’ syndrome, autism and Parkinson’s’ disease.
Primary Associated Faculty
Associated Doctoral Students
- Brandon Miller
- Jeffrey Simpson
Associated Master's Students
- Tony Luczak
- Shannon Phillips
- Saira Talwar
- Human Movement Analysis
- Sport Performance Enhancement and Injury Prevention
- Human Factors and Ergonomics
- Footwear Biomechanics
- Motor Learning and Behavior in Special Populations
- Motor performance (e.g., bimanual coordination, manual dexterity)
- Neural motor cognition
- Sleep disorders and motor control
- Applied cognitive psychology
- Pan, Z., & Van Gemmert, A. W. A. (2016) Peripheral Neuropathy reduces asymmetries in inter-limb transfer in a visuo-motor task. Asymmetries of Body, Brain and Cognition, 21(3), 255-66.
- Hou, L., Song, Z., Pan, Z., Cheng J., Yu Y., & Wang J. (2016) Decreased activation of the subcortical brain areas in motor fatigue state: an fMRI study. Frontiers in Psychology, 7, 1154.
- Chander, H., Morris CE, Wilson SJ, Wade, C & Garner JC. (2016). Balance Performance in Alternative Footwear. Footwear Science, 1-10.
- Chander, H. & Dabbs, N. C. (2016). Balance Performance and Training Among Female Athletes. Strength & Conditioning Journal, 38(2), 8-13.
- Knight, A. C., Holmes, M. E., Chander, H., Kimble, A., & Stewart, J. T. (2016). Assessment of balance among adolescent track and field athletes. Sports biomechanics, 1-11.
- Chander, H., Wade, C. & Garner, J.C. (2016). Slip Outcomes in Firefighters: A Comparison of Rubber and Leather Boots. Occupational Ergonomics. Vol. 13, No. 2.
- Aiken, C. A., Pan, Z., & Van Gemmert, A. W. A. (2015) Limb-dominance and its effects on the benefits of intralimb transfer-of-learning: A visuo-motor aiming task. Journal of Motor Behavior, 47, 509-521.
- Chen, C.-C.(J.J.), Ringenbach, S.D.R. Crews, D., Kulinna, P., & Amazeen, E. (2015). The association between a single bout of moderate physical activity and executive function in young adults with Down syndrome: A preliminary study, Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 59(7), 589-598.
- Coffey, K., Knight, A., & Wax, B. (2015). Equine assisted therapy and changes in gait for a participant with Down’s syndrome. Journal of Human Sciences and Extension, 3 (3), 18-26.
- Chander, H., Garner, J. C., & Wade, C. (2015). Heel contact dynamics in alternative footwear during slip events. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 48, 158-166.
- Chander, H., Wade, C., & Garner, J. C. (2015). Impact of occupational footwear on dynamic balance perturbations. Footwear Science, 7: 2, 115-126.
- Chander, H., Garner, J. C., & Wade, C. (2015). Ground reaction forces in alternative footwear during slip events. International Journal of Kinesiology and Sports Science, 3(2), 1-8.
- Chander, H., Garner, J. C. & Wade, C. (2014). Impact on balance while walking in occupational footwear. Footwear Science, 6(1), 59-66.
- Chander, H., MacDonald, C. J., Dabbs, N. C., Allen, C. R., Lamont, H. S., & Garner, J. C. (2014). Balance Performance in Female Collegiate Athletes. Journal of Sports Science, 2, 13-20.
- Dabbs NC, MacDonald CJ, Chander, H., Lamont HS, Garner JC. (2014). The Effects of Whole-body Vibration on Balance in Elderly Women. Medicina Sportiva. 18(1): 10-15.
- Knight, A., Lamberth, J., Galloway, R., Reynolds, N., & Luczak, T. (2014).The effect of static club head loft of a driver on golf ball launch variables and distance. International Journal of Golf Science, 3, 151-162.
- Ringenbach, S.D.R., Zimmerman, K., Chen, C.C., Mulvey, G.M., Weeks, D.J., & Michael, H.T. (2014). Adults with Down syndrome performed repetitive movements fast with continuous music cues, Journal of Motor Learning and Development, 2(3), 47-54.
- Chen, C.-C., Ringenbach, S.D.R, & Snow, M. (2014). Treadmill Walking Effects on Grip Strength in Young Men with Down Syndrome. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 35, 288-293.
- Chen, C.-C., Spanò, G., & Edgin, J. (2013). The Impact of Sleep Disruption on Executive Function in Down Syndrome. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 34, 2033-2039.
- Pan, Z., & Van Gemmert, A.W.A. (2013) The Effects of Aging on the Asymmetry of inter-limb transfer in a Visuo-Motor Task. Experimental Brain Research, 229 (4), 621-633.
- Pan, Z., & Van Gemmert, A. W. A. (2013) The Direction of Bilateral Transfer Depends on the Performance Parameter. Human Movement Science, 32(5), 1070-1081.
- Knight, A. & Weimar, W. (2013). Difference in ratio of evertor to invertor activity between the dominant and non-dominant legs during simulated lateral ankle sprain. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, 22(4), 272-278.
- Lamberth, J., Hale, B., Knight, A., Boyd, J., & Luczak, T. (2013). Effects of 6-weeks of strength and functional training on golf performance. International Journal of Golf Science, 2, 33-42.
- Garner, J.C., Wade, C., Garten, R., Chander, H. & Acevedo, E. (2013). The effect of boot type on postural stability of professional firefighters. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 43(1), 77-81.
- MacDonald, C.J., Israetel, M., Dabbs, N.C., Chander, H., Allen, C.R., Lamont, H., & Garner, J.C. (2013) Influence of Body Composition on Selected Jump Performance Measures in Collegiate Female Athletes. Journal of Trainology, 2: 33-37.
- Ringenbach, S.D.R., Mulvey, G.M., Chen, C.C., & Jung, M.L. (2012). Unimanual and Bimanual Continuous Movement Benefit from Visual Instructions in Persons with Down Syndrome. Journal of Motor Behavior, 44(4), 233-239.
- Knight, A.C. & Weimar, W.H. (2012). Effects of ankle taping and previous injury on the latency of the peroneus longus. Sports Biomechanics, 11, 48-56.
- Gilliland, K.J. & Knight, A.C. (2012). Friedreich's ataxia and gait changes through participation in therapeutic horseback riding. Clinical Kinesiology, 66, 1-6.
- Knight, A. C., & Weimar, W. H. (2012). Development of a fulcrum methodology to replicate the lateral ankle sprain mechanism and measure dynamic inversion speed. Sports Biomechanics, 11(3), 402-413.
- Lacy, T. E., Yu, J., Axe, J., & Luczak, T. (2012). The Effect of Driver Mass and Shaft Length on Initial Golf Ball Launch Conditions: A Designed Experimental Study. Procedia Engineering, 34, 379-384.
- Knight, A.C. & Weimar, W.H. (2011). Effects of inversion perturbation after step down task on the latency of the peroneus longus and peroneus brevis. Journal of Applied Biomechanics, 27, 283-290.
- Knight, A.C. & Weimar, W.H. (2011). Difference in response latency of the peroneus longus between the dominant and nondominant legs. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, 20 (3), 321-332.